6 Exercises to Stop Neck Pain Fast
Here at 43rd Street, we see a lot of people with neck pain. That’s not surprising, to tell the truth. So many people nowadays work in front of computers and model improper posture doing so. This is especially true of the position of the neck, while seated.
If you’re reading this at work, look around at your co-workers. Are their heads poking forward from their shoulders, their necks craning? That’s not good. That is, in fact, very bad. Why?
Because your head weighs between 10 and 13 pounds.
Think about that for a minute. They’re asking a lot from their upper vertebrae to support their heads in an unnatural position. If you’re reading this, I’m willing to bet your neck hurts, so you’re probably doing the same thing. Am I right?
Here’s what you can do.
Let’s get you feeling better with 6 exercises to stop neck pain fast. These exercises will also support improved posture, while you’re sitting in front of that computer.
- Looking forward, pull your shoulders down and imagine sliding your head backwards. Feel your chest rise as you do this.
- Slowly raise your chin until it’s pointing at the ceiling, while pulling your shoulders down.
- With your right hand, gently pull your head toward your shoulder. Repeat on the left.
- Slowly turn your head to the right and look over your shoulder. Now, do the same on the left.
- Place both hands behind your head and gently pull it toward your chest.
- Relaxing your arms and shoulders, pull your chest forward and imagine your shoulder blades touching one another.
These are 6 simple exercises to stop neck pain fast, but you need to commit to doing them regularly. In addition, you need to stand up and move around at least every half hour. Sitting for extended periods can be hard on your body. That includes your internal organs, but believe me – your spine takes a beating.
Take care of your neck.
Remember what I said about how much your head weighs? Your neck is under a lot of stress if your head is straining forward while sitting.
The exercises I’ve outlined above will not only stretch your neck and all the supportive apparatus (shoulders, upper back) around it. They’ll strengthen you, to improve your sitting posture enormously.
But for that to happen, you need to be consistent. Each of these 6 exercises should be repeated several times, every day.
I’m a chiropractor, so you can take it from me. If only some of my patients would commit to doing these 6 exercises to stop neck pain fast, they wouldn’t be arriving at my office in the state they’re in.
You can prevent neck pain by being proactive and taking a few moments out of your day to support the health of your neck, so do it.
Or would you rather come see me?
43rd Street Medical is a multi-disciplinarian health facility with your wellbeing in mind. Contact us if your neck pain persists.